The Sullivan Renaissance’s Spring Market and Annual Conference will highlight love of place and the community that makes it bloom | Mar. 6, 2018
Sullivan Renaissance Multicultural Outreach | Feb. 26, 2018
Use your skills to show that you love where you live. | Feb. 20, 2018
Twelve communities judged the most successful in completing their projects will win second-round grants between $1000 and $10,000. The Golden Feather Award of $50,000 will go to one of four large community development projects. All participants that finish will receive completion grants.
Communities have been hard at work on 42 projects since initial grants were awarded in March. Projects are judged for aesthetic improvement, collaboration, youth involvement, permanence and an ability to be maintained.
Winners will be announced at the Awards Ceremony on Monday, August 15. The 6:00 p.m. celebration is being held on the site of the Harvest Festival at Bethel Woods in
The 10 judges include individuals with horticultural, planning and community expertise:
1. Ted Blowes is a founding member of Communities in Bloom and chairman of the Board of Directors of the National Communities in Bloom Program in
2. Pete Gozza serves as president of a non-profit redevelopment organization in
3. Mary Lewis is Past President of the
5. Lee Nelson is a statewide horticultural speaker. She operates Lee Nelson Associates, a horticultural consulting business, which has completed beautification projects for the City of
6. Mike Pogue is senior forester for Region 3
7. Tim Stoddard, a graduate of Pratt Institute, has provided architectural design concepts and on-site management for federal government, corporation and residential projects.
8. John Story is manager of Meadowbrook Farm, the nationally recognized estate of J. Lidden Pennock.
9. Diana Weiner is superintendent of horticulture and landscapes at Mohonk Mountain House. She is the former community horticulture educator and master gardener coordinator for
10. Richard Weir is owner of Horticulture Solutions, a horticulture and landscape consulting business on