Young People Making a Difference in their Communities | May. 29, 2018
Gardening Across the Seasons | May. 21, 2018
| May. 14, 2018
FERNDALE – Nine individuals, businesses and organizations that have demonstrated a commitment to improving the appearance of Sullivan County will be recognized with “2010 Sullivan First Achievement Awards” during the
This year’s “Sullivan First Achievement Awards” will be given to:
· Cherise Barasch – for her continuous efforts to engage students in projects and her commitment to helping them make a connection to the natural environment
· Ruth McCoy – for her volunteerism as a youth leader in the community
· Joe Tinari – for his efforts in making the Fosterdale Motor Lodge the first certified green lodging facility in Sullivan County
· Damian Velez – for his volunteerism and ongoing contributions to the community
· Chris Williams – for his volunteerism and ongoing contributions to the community
· South Fallsburg Action Committee – for its ongoing participation in Sullivan Renaissance and the outstanding work that volunteers have accomplished these last few years
· Temple Beth’el – for the new sign as an example of best practices for signage
· Rock Hill Health Mart Pharmacy – for construction of the new pharmacy and Cardinal Square, which demonstrates best practices
· Canal Towne Emporium – for preservation of the historic character of the building, which demonstrates best practices
Sullivan Renaissance begins its 10th year of beautifying Sullivan County with this conference featuring exhibits and workshops on the significance of flowers in beautifying a community, community gardens, rain barrels, youth leadership and economic development.
All are welcome. There is no registration fee for this conference, which begins at 8:00 a.m. with breakfast and expo. The program starts at 9:00 a.m. and continues until 1:00 p.m.
The keynote address and two of the workshops will be led by C.L. Fornari, a gardening expert, author and professional speaker who believes that the lessons learned in the garden are relevant to work, relationships, spirituality and personal growth.
Details of this year’s
Workshops and presenters include:
· Creating and Managing a Successful Project – Helen Budrock
· Painless Permits & Permissions – Allen Frishman, Marcia Fink, Glenn Gidaly
· Ask the Experts: Gardening with Nurseries – Renee Davis, Will Foster, Tom Manza
· Moving from Inspiration to Installation – C.L. Fornari
· Cultivating Kids – C.L. Fornari
YOUth Can Make a Difference –
Laura Quigley, Denise Frangipane
· Rain Barrels + Rain Gardens: Making the Most of Rain – Heather Jacksy, Robert Hayes
· ABCs of Community Vegetable Gardens – Challey Comer, Pierre-Luc Moeys
· Economic Development Charrette Follow-up – Luiz Aragon
Workshop space is limited to the first registrants. To obtain a workshop registration form, visit the website at www.sullivanrenaissance.org or call
Conference attendees will have an opportunity to vote for their favorite exhibit. Door prizes will be awarded at the conference conclusion.
This is a recycling event; appropriate receptacles will be provided for attendees.
Sullivan Renaissance is a beautification and community development program principally funded by the Gerry Foundation. Additional funding has been secured by NYS Senator John J. Bonacic and Assemblywoman Aileen M. Gunther.
For more information, call 845-295-2445.